Vinícius

Painting by Donald Zolan




When she finally saw him,
he was two years old
and was quiet, watching tv
on the sofa as if the whole world
was a shell of silence.
Time and work had blinded her.
(why can't we pay attention to people?)

It was January
when the sun started to melt
her wings.
She tried to deny the evidences
of fate, soaring high once more,
looking for clouds to darken her vision
and tremulous heart.

She didn't want to cry
observing his nights and endless days
of quiet distance.
Was he deaf?
Was he dumb?
Was he?

Can you hear me?
Repeat with me.
Hey there, I am here.
Hellooooooo

He was the only one
living in his life.

When the answer crept towards her,
she knelt down,
pressed her forehead on the ground
and groaned, cursing
the setting sun and the gods.

Life sat down
and waited for her strength.
Leaves fell,
flowers bloomed and withered,
rain flooded her hope.

She learnt him
and learnt with him
how to fish courage
and extract force from the winds.
For me she is a winner
and if you ask me:
would you ever take your hat off to anybody?
I would always say:
yes, to that woman who learnt
how to be a mother again.



Karla Bardanza


For J and V


“Autism, is part of my child, it's not everything he is. My child is so much more than a diagnosis.”
Sandra L Coelho, The World According to August - One Good Friend



Photobucket
Copyright©Karla Bardanza 2012

1 comment:

  1. This is so beautiful Karla! YOu did a great job! EXALT! tc

    ReplyDelete