BEHIND THOSE EYES



In the silent watches of night,



my heart sank in subliminal depths:



she had drifted away from the shores of life.



A flood of thoughts invaded my mind.



--she has always been my obscure passion--





I remembered the first time, I sat at her



feet in awe, worshipping her past, bowing



to the fire I could see on the palms of her



warrior hands.





Behind those eyes,



History had another name.



She taught me to spell it bleeding.



(I knew she had talents to madness



and anger)



I learnt to keep my conscience warped,



unleashing my claws, sharpening the blade



of hatred with care.



I inherited her unnatural rigidity, uncomplaining



patience and uncommon spice for disobedience.





Those were years of thunder and rage



and I was a hopeless angry little girl



but she taught me to clad my soul in armor,



I blossomed in mud and in mud we fought.



They had painted monstrosities upon



the walls of our hearts.



--we never knelt down, never--





One day, they arrested her.



She was tortured like a man.



(it was what they said)



She survived time and death,



embracing infinity, retreating



into her own shadow.



Exiled.



 
Her smile was no smile anymore.



But her eyes were still radiant



as the eyes of a saint.



She had known the darkness of the path,



cursing the setting sun and the guilty serpents.



She had known the purity of despair.



Her purposes were eternal as this flag



I now bathe with my own tears.





Behind those eyes,



History stared at the perpetual night



and succumbed to intangible ashes.



Behind those eyes,



my past, my life, my pain.





Karla Bardanza









*This poem is a tribute to Vera Silvia Magalhaes, Iara Iavelberg, Dinalva Oliveira Teixeira, Lucia Maria de Souza, Maria Lucia Petit and all the Brazilian women who fought against dictatorship and died for my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment